If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an internet casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you most likely run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capacity to run bingo games was one of the many concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine game. We have all seen small digital bingo card with the top corner from the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos began to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries then placed inside a trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to be within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split using the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions like family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside with the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted means for governments to increase funds. It is described as source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming here tribes will also be influencing gambling and other policies affecting Native Americans by handing large sums to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is known as an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it leads to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling far better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling lights up the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?